Aug 20

One Month With Clinical Trials

8-20-2013 – It’s now been one month since I got into the clinical trials for Ibrutinib, and that meant going down to Detroit to visit my doctor at Karmanos Cancer Center.  Last time, that visit took nearly a week from start to finish, but this time we were in and out in a single day.

We left the house about 8:AM, drove down to the Detroit area and got there about 1:PM.  About 1:30 we were in the Karmanos building and not long after that I was ushered in to get my regular blood draw.  They got 6 vials this time.

From there, I was off to exam room 26 to await the doctor.  As usual, a nurse came by and asked all the prelim questions, like if I’m in any pain, sleeping well, any rashes or coughs or depression, and so forth.  I gave her the update that everything’s just peachy here, as usual, and she checked it all off in her paperwork and was on her way.

Another half hour or so probably went by while I played on my cell phone, and then the doc came in.  He asked some of the same general questions, plus specific questions about possible side effects of the new drug, and I reported that as far as I could tell, I’m not having any and that I feel great.  He did a physical exam, pronounced me good to go for the next month of Ibrutinib, and was on his way.

From there, it’s a matter of waiting for the drug to actually show up.  A lot of time passed.  Hours, actually.  Mom, who was waiting out in the waiting room, got bored and came looking for me, so then we sat there together, chatting and playing with the tablet and stuff.

Finally, after what seemed like forever when you’ve got nothing to do but wait, the drugs showed up and we were on our way.  I shot a couple of photos on the way out:


From there, we got right on I-75 and headed North for home.  Along the way, we stopped off at a great Chinese buffet.  They had lots of stuff to choose from, including sushi, which was great.  Mom thought about trying some for the first time, be then decided against it.  We also stopped off at a Bass Shoe Store at one of those big Manufacturer’s Outlet areas along the way so mom could get a new pair of shoes.  We got home about 11:30, I guess.  Well, I did.  Mom still had the drive from my place to hers.

So, it was kind of a long day, but not bad.  I enjoy road trips and it’s always good to have a clear grasp of where I’m at medically, so I don’t mind doctor visits at all.

I guess that’s about it for now.  Feeling just great, still getting in some bicycle riding, not growing a third eye or any other side effects from the new drug, and all’s well as far as I can tell, so no complaints here!