December 18th, 2003.
Today I went back to the doctor to see what the test results revealed.
The short version is, the remission is over, there’s a 4″ mass in my abdomen, and I’ll start Rituxan and chemo soon. Last time, my chemo consisted of COP + R This time it will be CHOP + R. Here’s a refresher…
CHOP chemotherapy agents:
- C – Cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan®) DNA-Altering
- H – Doxorubicin (Adriamycin®) or Rubex® or Hydroxydaunomycin Antitumor Antibiotic
- O – Vincristine (Oncovin®) Blocks Cell Duplication
- P – Prednisone (Deltasone®) steroidal: anti-inflammatory, Immunosuppressant
- R – RITUXAN – a monoclonal antibody (Mab)
Learn more about Rituxan HERE.
The doc’s giving me the holidays before starting it up. My schedule right now is:
- December 30th, 10:30 am: A cardiac nuclear scan to make sure my ticker can handle it.
- January 7th, 8:30 am: Rituxan treatment.
- January 8th, 8:30 am: CHOP Chemo treatment.
- January 14th, 10:am: See the doc again to assess the situation.
The doc says that this will be a very aggressive regimen and that this time all my hair will definitely fall out. Well, I think I’ll just use it as a reason to treat myself to a few new hats!